One of our goals with Starpires was to be able to create short lived tournament style game servers which would last for a set period of time and have prizes for top players. The first one, Orion will be open for new signups in just over 24 hours.
The top 5 players at the end of the 90 day play period will receive custom 3d printed trophies and they’re will be additional prizes for many other top players. In addition top players will be immortalized in an online Starpires hall of fame. More details on the prizes will be coming soon…
You can join the new Orion game server (and other servers) from the game center.
Now that I’m able to devote my full effort to developing Starpires, there’s lots of features, enhancements and game play adjustments in the pipeline. Here are some of the recent and upcoming ones. Going forward there will be much more detail on this blog about newly launched changes to the game.
- Dozens of bug fixes and game balance adjustments, most based off of player feedback.
- Complete overhaul of the player messaging system making it easier to coordinate with allies. a) You can now start message threads between multiple players. b) There is a send messages button directly on the message console, bottom right corner of the screen. c) There is now an option to report inappropriate language is messages if you block a player from sending them.
- Re-implemented the in game player profiles, you can now view attack histories, as well as any message threads you’ve had with the player.
- New top players lists.
- Battle simulator – To give players more insight into what determines the outcome of a particular battle.
- Updated game FAQ’s, Wiki and Forum – To provide players with more insights into the intricacies of Starpires and create a better community.
- A completely overhauled boost system. There will be a lot more of them and they can be acquired and utilized in more ways. Boosts will be able to be saved and traded, similar inventory in an RPG style game. This will add substantial depth and strategy to combat in Starpires.
- Multiple Starpires “servers” creating fresh games for players to join.
- Deep space exploration – Send fleets to discover new planets, or mine asteroides.
- Better server stability – There has been a few outages in the past few weeks.
- Continued bug fixes and game balance adjustments.
You probably noticed we just put up a new home page for Starpires, that actually tells you something about the game (gasp) instead of simply having a login button. We had been so busy making improvements to the game play that we really hadn’t taken the time to work on the other important stuff like marketing and getting more players into the game.
Next up, we’re working on some game play tutorials for both new and advanced players. While we’ve tried to make Starpires easy to play, it is a very intricate strategy game with lots of things to do, so I think the tutorials are critical for new players. Nenad (graphic designer) has also been working on a really cool 3d animated game trailer, which I’m really looking forward to seeing.
Other game play items currently under development:
- Lots of new research items, including one time “power boost” items.
- Accomplishments, where you get special rewards for either reaching a milestone or accomplish something hard to do such as knocking off the top empire.
We just added a new “Enemies” tab to the attack and special operations screens in Starpires. When you have dozens of empires in your universe this will help you easily find the empires who you are currently engaged in combat with.
The enemies tab will display empires who have attacked you or you have attacked. Empires which you currently have some type of alliance or treaty with will be excluded from this list. We will continue to make improvements to the game based off of feedback from players.